Abazia Santa Giustina

Sezzadio

Abazia Santa Giustina

The Abbey of Santa Giustina was founded, according to local legend, by King Liutprando and dedicated to the eponymous martyr in 772. Enlarged in 1030 by Otberto, a monastery was added for the Benedictine Order of monks. …

View details

Abbazia cistercense di Santa Maria

Tortona

Abbazia cistercense di Santa Maria

The complex can be traced back to a first monastic settlement recorded in 1150, after which work began on building the abbey, completed in the mid-13th century. During the 1600s, various alterations took place because of …

View details

Basilica di San Pietro

Acqui Terme

Basilica di San Pietro

Saint Peter's Basilica is the old cathedral of Acqui Terme and one of the oldest in Italy. It was built within the boundary of an early Christian cemetery in the 4th century and in the first decades of the 11th century …

View details

Basilica e Sacro Monte di Crea

Serralunga di Crea

Basilica e Sacro Monte di Crea

The origins of the Sacro Monte (Holy Mountain) go back to the time of the Counter Reformation when new forms of popular religion flourished along with devotional pilgrimages; it is made up of the Sanctuary, 23 chapels and …

View details

Casa Natale di San Paolo della Croce

Ovada

Casa Natale di San Paolo della Croce

The 17th century building, belonging to the Buffa Family, was declared a National Monument in 1918 and entrusted to the Passionists in 1926. The third floor is home to the Chapel which corresponds to the room were the Saint …

View details

Cattedrale dell'Assunta

Acqui Terme

Cattedrale dell'Assunta

It was built where the old town of Acqui Terme is to be found; it is reached through a fine Renaissance-style square, laid out towards the end of the 15th century. Originally consecrated in 1067, over the years it has undergone …

View details

Cattedrale di San Pietro

Alessandria

Cattedrale di San Pietro

The Cathedral was built between 1875 and 1879 by Edoardo Arborio Mella replacing the old Romanesque cathedral which had been demolished by Napoleon I. The Neoclassical appearance of the exterior is highlighted on the left-hand …

View details

Cattedrale di Sant'Evasio

Casale Monferrato

Cattedrale di Sant'Evasio

Built between the end of the 11th century and the first years of the following century, the Cathedral of Sant’Evasio was consecrated in 1107. The single-spired facade is the result of the major reconstruction work …

View details

Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta e San Lorenzo

Tortona

Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta e San Lorenzo

Building work on the Cathedral of Tortona started in 1574 and ended around the end of that century; while the façade was finished at the end of the 1800s by Nicolò Bruno. Inside, the church has a Latin cross …

View details

Chiesa di San Domenico

Casale Monferrato

Chiesa di San Domenico

The building of the church and convent of San Domenico started in 1472 at the behest of the Marquis Guglielmo VIII Paleologo and lasted for more than 30 years. Consecrated in 1513 the church was enlarged and partly altered …

View details

Chiesa di San Francesco

Cassine

Chiesa di San Francesco

The church of San Francesco in the Lombardy Gothic style dates back to the 13th century has a classic period façade with robust buttresses and blind arching at the top; a second bell tower was added to the original …

View details

Chiesa di San Giacomo Maggiore

Gavi

Chiesa di San Giacomo Maggiore

The Church of S. Giacomo, built around 1165, is one of the greatest examples of Romanesque architecture in the Alessandria area, despite the Baroque additions of the 17th and 18th century. The sloping stone facade is well …

View details

Chiesa di San Gottardo

Camino

Chiesa di San Gottardo

It is located just outside the walls of the Castle of Camino in a position from which you can enjoy a magnificent panorama. There is no certain information on the origins of the church, but it was probably built between …

View details

Chiesa di San Lorenzo

Alessandria

Chiesa di San Lorenzo

A church named after Saints Lorenzo and Clemente already existed in Alessandria at an age close to the founding of the city. In 1347-1350, the urban church of San Lorenzo was merged with that of Santa Maria della Corte of …

View details

Chiesa di San Rocco

Alessandria

Chiesa di San Rocco

The Church of San Rocco is located in the homonymous square of Alessandria. It was built in the 12th century by the Order of the Humiliated and once dedicated to San Giovanni del Cappuccio. Following the suppression of the …

View details