Abazia Santa Giustina
The Abbey of Santa Giustina was founded, according to local legend, by King Liutprando and dedicated to the eponymous martyr in 772. Enlarged in 1030 by Otberto, a monastery was added for the Benedictine Order of monks. Left largely untouched during the 14th century, the church can be seen in its 11th century form. The stone and brick exterior is finely columned and crowned with hanging arches whilst a 14th century tower rises up over the austere facade. The interior has three naves and has kept some frescoes from the Lombardy School dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries: Universal Judgement and the Story of Christ in the major apse and the Story of the Virgin in the northern apse, as well as some fragments dating back to the Romanesque period. The crypt has three naves divided by two rows of columns and is reckoned to be the oldest part of the building and its floor, a mosaic of black and white marble, has an inscription to Otberto the “restorer” of the church.
Information and contacts
via Badia, 53 - 15079 Sezzadio (AL)