Chiesa di Santa Maria Canale

Tortona

Chiesa di Santa Maria Canale

Building work on the Cathedral of Tortona started in 1574 and ended around the end of that century; while the façade was finished at the end of the 1800s by Nicolò Bruno. Inside, the church has a Latin cross …

View details

Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pieve

Novi Ligure

Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pieve

This church was built between the 12th and the 13th centuries at the site of the settlement which led eventually to the creation of the town. Extensively reconstructed in 1678, the original layout with three naves remains, …

View details

Chiesa di Santa Maria e San Siro

Sale

Chiesa di Santa Maria e San Siro

The church of St. Maria is first recorded in documents which date from 1165. The double naming is testament to the fact that at Sale there were two separate churches: St. Siro, a fortified church outside the town walls and …

View details

Chiesa di Santo Stefano

Alessandria

Chiesa di Santo Stefano

The Church of Santo Stefano (originally SS. Stefano e Martino) is connected to the events of the Order of the Servants of Mary. The Servites, in 1728, were forced to abandon their primitive convent of S. Stefano in Borgoglio …

View details

Chiesa Parrocchiale N. S. Assunta

Ovada

Chiesa Parrocchiale N. S. Assunta

The Church of Nostra Signora Assunta, built starting from 1772, is an important landmark in the town for the height of its facade, the circular cupola and the two bell towers. The richly decorated interior is in a Latin …

View details

Chiesa SS. Trinità da Lungi

Castellazzo Bormida

Chiesa SS. Trinità da Lungi

The church of SS. Trinità da Lungi was built by the Canons of S. Croce of Mortara around 1130, almost certainly built inside a monastery complex. Notwithstanding many renovations which mainly took place during the …

View details

Collegiata dei SS. Martino e Stefano

Serravalle Scrivia

Collegiata dei SS. Martino e Stefano

In 1239 Gregory IX merged the church of San Martino with that of Santo Stefano, from which time the latter ceased to be a chapel and the church of Serravalle was named after the Saints Martino and Stefano. It achieved its …

View details

Collegiata di  Santa Maria Assunta

Pontecurone

Collegiata di Santa Maria Assunta

The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta, built entirely of terracotta, can be traced back to the typical architectural models of the Po Valley Gothic period of the 13th and 14th centuries, to which its construction …

View details

Collegiata Santa Maria Assunta

Novi Ligure

Collegiata Santa Maria Assunta

The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta, in the heart of the old town, dates back to some time between the 6th and 7th centuries, built on the site of a former pagan temple (of which traces of the foundations still …

View details

Complesso monumentale di Santa Croce (Museo chiuso per restauri)

Bosco Marengo

Complesso monumentale di Santa Croce (Museo chiuso per restauri)

The complex of Santa Croce was commissioned by Pope Pius V Ghislieri to mark his birthplace with a religious and social centre for the promulgation of the catholic faith. Some of the most renowned artists of the period were …

View details

Duomo di Alessandria

Alessandria

Duomo di Alessandria

The cathedral of Alessandria, located in the city centre, stands on the place of a Lombard Gothic style building demolished in 1803 to meet the military needs of Napoleon Bonaparte. The chapter, in 1805, obtained from Napoleon …

View details

Duomo Santa Maria Maggiore e Museo

Valenza

Duomo Santa Maria Maggiore e Museo

The Cathedral, dedicated to Santa Maria Maggiore, was probably built on the site of a former place of worship; the building visible today was started in 1619, following the demolition of the old Romanesque church which was …

View details

Monastero di San Remigio

Parodi Ligure

Monastero di San Remigio

The history of this monument is datable to 10 June 1033, when the Marquis Adalberto, of the Obertenga family and his wife Adelasia endow the Benedictine abbey of S. Maria di Castiglione near Parma with many assets and real …

View details

Oratorio dei Bianchi o dell'Assunta

San Sebastiano Curone

Oratorio dei Bianchi o dell'Assunta

The Oratory of Our Lady of the Assumption, known as “dei Bianchi” (of the Whites) is located close to the Prince’s Palace. The current appearance of the building is that of an elegant 18th century construction, …

View details

Oratorio dei Rossi

Serravalle Scrivia

Oratorio dei Rossi

The Oratory of the Holy Blessed Trinity and of St. John the Baptist is the seat of the homonymous Confraternity. It was founded on 24 June 1532 and is commonly known as the oratory of “Dei Rossi” (Of the Reds). …

View details