Chiesa di San Domenico
The building of church and convent of San Domenico started in 1472 at the behest of the Marquess Guglielmo VIII Paleologo and lasted for more than 30 years. Consecrated in 1513 the church survive was enlarged and altered (specifically in the area of the apse) in 1745. The facade, in the Lombard pillared style, is in three buttressed sections and is topped with crossed arches. The doorway is particularly interesting and dates from 1505 with pillared architraves crowned with a rose window of the zodiac.
There are three naves divided by cruciform pillars with a pointed arch vaulted ceiling; the holy water font with its finely decorated capitals dates from the beginning of the 1500s. The church is home to several important works of art including the important paintings of Pietro Francesco Guala: La disfatta degli Albigesi (1724) and two large canvasses depicting the The Miracles of San Domenico (1753-54).
Access to the cloister, the only one remaining of the two original cloisters, is from the right-hand side of the church, with a large columned loggia in clay and a 15th century room with ogive windows.
Information and contacts
piazza San Domenico, 3 - 15033 Casale Monferrato (AL)
Telephone: +39 (0142) 452.747