Castello del Monferrato
The Castle was built in 1352 and completed in 1357 at the behest of the Marquis Giovanni Il Paleologo. It was renovated in the second half of the 15th century, at the request of the Marquises Guglielmo VIII and Bonifacio V, after Casale became the capital of the marquisate of Monferrato and took on the title of city (1474). With the passage of Casale to the Gonzaga of Mantua, the Castle was enlarged and reinforced: the walls were heavily worked on, the plan took on the hexagonal shape which is still visible today, the towers were reinforced and four new ravelins were built. With the crisis of the Gonzaga dynasty and after the passage of the city and of Monferrato to the Savoia (1708), the Castle was transformed into a military barracks. In the mid-19th century, Casale was fortified in anticipation of a war with Austria and the Castle was also englobed in the defensive structure. The Savoy state decided to take down the eastern ravelin that looked towards the city, creating a large public area, the current Piazza Castello. With the advent of the Unification of Italy, the three other ravelins became superfluous and were demolished. Today, the Castle presents a quadrilateral plan with truncated corner towers and is surrounded by a moat. For more information, you can visit the site of the City of Casale Monferrato – Castle.
open every day.
Temporary exhibitions open at weekends.
After important restoration work, the Castle of Casale Monferrato is accessible once again, but only partially. Inside, there is the IAT office – Tourist Information and Hospitality; the Library for Young people; Regional wine shop of Monferrato (currently closed).
See attachment or website for history of the Castle.
Information and contacts
piazza Castello - 15033 Casale Monferrato (AL)
Telephone: +39 (0142) 444.329
Telephone 2: +39 (0142) 444.330